Tiny TomesĀ® Publishing - Constance B. Wilder

October 2012
September 2012
August 2012

powered by

Welcoming Life

recipes

I just returned from the Newburyport Farmer's Market laden down with bags of red, yellow and heirloom tomatoes, two different kinds of basil, organic cabbage, and lavender honey. All just for me. Cooking for one which was one of the adjustments I had to make over the past ten years and talked a bit about in Above & Beyond Wellfleet did not come naturally. I don't think it does for most folks who are used to sharing the table with family and partners. "What's the point" is a phrase that creeps into the mind. I will be the only one enjoying the fruits (and vegetables) of my labor. But that really is the point--seeking out enjoyment wherever it can be found.But the exercise is especially hard when years of experience in meal preparation are entirely different. When my husband was battling his cancer, my kitchen was my laboratory. I researched any food to make what I thought would build his stamina. When he died, one of the things I couldn't face was the kitchen where my efforts had failed. I never realized I put so much faith in the food I served to help enable his cure. But I had. It took me some time to treat myself with the same kind of care--honoring food as building stamina. Food does build strength and the grieving mind and body needs all the strength it can get. I forced myself to understand this and now I've taken it to another level. I take pleasure most everyday in enjoying my evening meal. I create some pageantry out of it--taking care to make healthy dinners, that look appealing, lighting a candle and pouring myself a glass of wine. I had the pleasure of meeting  Judith Jones (she who convinced Knopf to publish Julia Childs -Mastering the Art of French Cooking) at the 2011 Key West Literary Seminar. I told her how much her book The Pleasure of Cooking For One (a book she wrote after her husband died) meant to me. Her inscription to me was
"It makes a difference". Yes, it does make a difference. In this blog, I will share some of my favorite recipes--they can be made for more than one person. The companion photograph is a salad --Boston lettuce, gorgonzola cheese crumbles, sliced tenderloin, topped with a sweet onion relish, sprinkled with a few sliced kalamata olives. Bon Appetit and remember to treat yourself kindly.

9 Comments to recipes:

Comments RSS
Joni Vetne on Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:03 PM
This all sounds so yummy! My idea of cooking for one is a bowl of cereal or toast. If I enjoyed cooking more, I'd try these out. I applaud those those who DO cook for one. I, on the other hand, am relieved I no longer have to cook at all!
Reply to comment

Katie on Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:44 PM
Looks so yummy! I love it that the onion relish has made it into your repertoire!
Reply to comment

Connie on Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:40 PM
Onion relish recipe--enjoyed by our family on our recent trip to Switzerland: 2 to 3 tsp olive oil, 4 cups sweet (vidalia) onions (thinly sliced),1/3 cup chopped celery,1/2 cup sugar,1/4 tsp kosher salt,1/8 tsp grated white pepper,1/2 cup cider vinegar,1/4 cup water.Heat oil, add onions and cook until tender for about 10 minutes,stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve hot on poultry, meat (sausages, especially)--or as a relish on sandwiches. Keeps refrigerated in tightly covered container for several weeks, if it lasts that long.

patty on Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:21 PM
Does that mean you'll share the soup recipes too? - I mean the ones you always say, when I love them - "have no idea - just used what was in the fridge!"
Reply to comment

Connie on Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:41 PM
I Promise!

guided tour of china on Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:55 AM
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.
Reply to comment

bellabluestudio on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:09 AM
Hey! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.
Reply to comment

Boulevard on Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:38 AM
I visited your site & after visiting i found that it is very informational for everyone you have done really a great job thank you
Reply to comment

Recipe on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:55 PM
From some days I am hunting for such kind of information. I am a recipe book writer and your recipe concerning is very reliable and handful to me. Which helps me a lot to write more some delicious recipe.
Reply to comment