Tiny TomesĀ® Publishing - Constance B. Wilder

October 2012
September 2012
August 2012

powered by

Welcoming Life

Parents

I began my day by looking up favorite Thanksgiving recipes and soon found my head filled with a flood of holiday memories.They started with my parents and how they made them all special.The images rivaled Norman Rockwell themes--father sitting at the head of the table with the ancient carving knife and steel (I used to love to watch my father sharpen the long knife  before surgically carving whatever roast was before him).My mother would have set a beautiful table and prepared a scrumptious meal. I can still see the eager family faces calmly waiting to dig in after my father said a gentle grace.
I wrote a chapter about my parents in Above & Beyond Wellfleet; they shaped my happiness and forged my ability to withstand sadness.They were able to influence me so positively, because they were good people--but it was always the abiding love that they had for one another which was the greatest gift.
This photograph is badly in need of photo shopping. While it isn't a perfect photograph,it is a perfect view into who they were as a couple.I've saved this photograph as a treasure.My parents were in their 80's when it was taken, and they are coming out of one of our favorite farm markets (the School House Farm in Maine).My father is doing what he always did, watching out for my mother's well being.She was not steady on her feet and neither was my father--but they held each other up--always had.I don't know how I had the good sense to take the photograph.I don't ever remember taking my camera to the farm market, but this day I caught their hands together, my mother's determined face, and my father's first thought--protecting my mother.
I miss them.But I am grateful for the lessons they taught.They gave me the true recipe for what Thanksgiving is all about--eternal love.

6 Comments to Parents:

Comments RSS
Carol on Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:48 PM
Love this, Con!!!
Reply to comment

John on Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:43 PM
Nice piece, Con, and a typical picture well captured. Love, Juan
Reply to comment

patty on Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:57 PM
They were very dear, and love the picture!
Reply to comment

Sam on Monday, December 10, 2012 10:07 PM
Holidays are filled with memories. My mother loved Christmas and I think of her so often every day now. There are days that I am so sad I could spit and others I just think how she is better off where she is than living in a place with the boobs we have in Washington. Thanks for this thought provoking piece.
Reply to comment

tibet weather on Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:29 AM
One more thing. I think that there are quite a few travel insurance internet sites of dependable companies that allow you to enter your trip details and obtain you the rates. You can also purchase the particular international holiday insurance policy on internet by using your credit card. All you need to do will be to enter your current travel details and you can understand the plans side-by-side. Only find the package that suits your budget and needs then use your bank credit card to buy them. Travel insurance on the internet is a good way to take a look for a reliable company regarding international holiday insurance. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Reply to comment

cross bracelet on Friday, August 16, 2013 2:58 AM
whoah this blog is great i love reading your posts. Keep up the great work! You know, lots of people are looking around for this info, you could help them greatly.
Reply to comment